Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Friday, February 8, 2019

February 8, 1942 Diary

Sunday, 39th Day - 326 Days to Follow

Written by Margie Arbuthnot

28 degrees above at 7 A. M.
Snowed all A.M. and part of P.M.
Girls came out this P.M.for a short time.
Brought Donnie out.  
Today was open house at Dr. Hunton's (sp?) 
showing his new barn.
Earl Burrus his tenant.
Don, Florence and children here this evening.
Temp this evening 22 above at 7 P.M. this evening.

"The Girls"

Margie and Fred had four children, Ken the eldest, then Marjorie, Una and the youngest (my father) Donald.  The two daughters both lived in Boulder at this time, and both single mothers.  Margie refers to her two daughters as "the girls:.  

Today, I will share with you about Marjorie was the eldest daughter, born in 1904 and she shared her  birth date with her sister-in-law Florence.  Marjorie attended school at the Batchelder School where her father was on the board of directors.  She later attended the Normal School for teachers in Greeley, CO.  She married a young miner,  Louis Campion who's family lived not too far from where the Arbuthnot's lived.  Louis was married and then divorced in Minnesota before he came to Colorado.  He brought with him, his son Wallace.  Marjorie and Louis kept their marriage a secret for a while so she could continue as a teacher.  The family was greatly sadden on August 29, 1938 when Louis was struck by a big boulder when he was leaving the Slide Mine at the end of his work day.  The large boulder crushed him yet spared his friend who was walking out with him.  After this, Marjorie adopted Wallace and raised him as her own, she never had any children of her own.  Marjorie was a seamstress and worked in a dress shop in Boulder.  

Tomorrow, I will share about the other one of "the girls".

Fred and Margie with "The Girls"
L to R Una, Fred, Margie, Marjorie
1920's

Louis and Marjorie (Arbuthnot) Campion
Celebrating their wedding with a gift from Marjorie's Uncle Will.
Photo taken on Don & Florence's wedding day, March 2, 1937


Funeral of Louis Campion, Aug 1938.
Paid for by the Slide Mine.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn