Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Friday, February 15, 2019

February 15, 1942 Diary

Sunday, 46th Day - 319 Days to Follow

Written by Margie Arbuthnot

6 degrees below this morning at 7.
Morning foggy - snowed a part of today.
Don's and the Boulder folks out here for dinner.
Not very warm today.
2 degrees above at 8:30 P.M.

Grandma's recipes...

With having fresh pork since a hog was butchered a few days ago,
no wonder every one came for dinner on this night.
A few years ago, my cousin Dana let me know that she had a notebook full of Grandma's recipes.
I was pretty excited to see what kinds of things that Grandma made.
With the war going on and rationing, it shouldn't have surprised me like it did.
The notebook was filled with recipes using Velveeta and Spam.
Wow, not what I was expecting to find.  I will be posting some of those recipes in the future.

A 1940's magazine add for Spam



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn