Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Thursday, February 28, 2019

February 28, 1942 Diary

Saturday, 59th Day - 306 Days to Follow

Written by Margie Arbuthnot

28 degrees above at 7 A.M.
Warmer today and it snowed most all day.
Don's were here for dinner.
The tractor was brot out here from Longmont.
A card party at the Grange Hall tonite.
Proceeds to go to buy a board for the Grange.
Temp 20 degrees above at 8 P.M.
No radio tonight.

Altona Grange No. 127

I don't know how a card party worked to raise funds for the Grange to spend.
Today, there is a bulletin board that hangs in the Altona Grange Hall.  It's been there for as long as I can remember.  I wonder if that is the board that was purchased with the funds from this party.  My guess is that it probably was.

You can see the old chalk board behind my cousin and I.
(She's the pretty one, visiting Altona for the first time from California.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn