Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Monday, February 18, 2019

February 18, 1942 Diary

Wednesday, 49th Day - 316 Days to Follow

Written by Margie Arbuthnot

Cold last nite 12 degrees above at 7 A.M.
Canned 7 pts [pints] of meat today and ground sausage.
Has not warmed up much today.
3 below at 8 P.M.

Making sausage.  Grandma didn't have a food processor to grind her meat in.  She used a hand crank grinder and fed the meat into it from the top as she turned the handle.  Here is a photo of one that is similar to the one she used.  


Old hand crank meat grinder,
like the one Grandma used.

Pork Sausage Recipe

For two pounds of ground pork, add a mixture of the following:

two teaspoons salt,
two teaspoons dried sage, crushed fine,
one teaspoon black pepper,
one-fourth teaspoon marjoram,
a pinch of ground cloves,
It's best to mix all of the above together before adding it to your ground pork.
Mix well and form into patties or this can be put into sausage casings.
Fry them up, best fried in a cast iron skillet.
Or freeze until ready to use.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn