Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Friday, February 1, 2019

February 1, 1942 Diary

Sunday, 32nd Day - 333 Days to Follow

Written by Margie Arbuthnot

Temp 5 degrees at 7 A.M.
I was sure feeling punk all nite from my cold.
Donnie rode his bike to Niwot this A.M. with Lorn Hornbaker.
Dad went to see Bob Burke this A.M.
The girls [daughter's Una and Marjorie] came out at noon.
Some west wind to nite.
Don reported 6 baby pigs at his place when he came to to chore.
Temp this evening 34 degrees above.
Marjorie had a letter from Howard yesterday, from Ft. Riley.

When Don and Florence (Hill) Arbuthnot were married, they were given a baby pig.  It was the runt of the litter owned by Charlie and Pauline (Brammeier) Dehn.  That pig served the family very well as it gave many piglets.  Eventually, when it was a large hog, this pig was sold and with the funds, Don and Florence purchased their dinning room set.  This table and chairs and a buffet served many family dinners in their home.  It's extensions made for more place settings at holiday meals.

Don Arbuthnot with the hog that was sold for the dinning room furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn