Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

February 19, 1942 Diary

Thursday, 50th Day - 315 Days to Follow

Written by Margie Arbuthnot

Warmer today 6 degrees below at 7 A.M.
I didn't go to the Theater party today with club members.
Went for a ride with Don's to Lyons back through Hygiene.
Warmer tonite - 7 degrees above at 8 P.M.
Don and Florence had a letter from Inez Twa today.
Telling that Stephen passed away Jan 18th.
I wrote to Inez tonite.

Stephen Elmer Arbuthnot was the brother of Inez (Arbuthnot) Twa.
Their father, George John Arbuthnot, was brothers with Margie's husband, Fred Arbuthnot.
Like Fred, George was born at Haystack Mountain.
George purchased the land that is now at the corner of Niwot Rd and Brigadoon Dr.
With the help of his brothers, George built a home along with a small barn.  The house is a four square home and was most likely purchased through the Railroad company, where all of the parts for the home were delivered on one railroad car.  This was a very popular style of home at the time, a style that preceded the Sears and Roebuck style of catalog homes.

In 1905 George married a woman from Niwot, Nancy L. Brammeier, and they made their home there.
They had two children that were born in that home, Inez and Ivan.  Ivan was called "Hap" because he was such a happy baby.  Nancy's health was not so good, and opportunities arose so in 1908 the family moved to Manteca, California.  In California, George established an almond farm.

Life seemed to be better for the family in California.  Nancy became pregnant again and in July of 1911, Stephen was born.  Soon after Stephen arrived, Nancy was pregnant again.
But she was not so fortunate this time.  The forth child, a baby boy, died the day he was born.
Nancy died 18 days letter.  They are buried together in California.

George was devastated to loose his wife and child.  His mother, uncle and sister traveled to California to see him, I'm sure hoping to convince him to come back to Colorado.  But he was established now in California and stayed there.  Inez, Hap, and Stephen grew up there and did visit their cousins family in Colorado. Inez eventually lived in Colorado.   Stephen married in 1934 to Mary Belle Blair and had two daughters.  Inez's letter shared that Stephen had died after fighting tuberculosis.

I wish to thank my California cousins, descendants of George J. Arbuthnot, for sharing their photos, homes, time, and love with me.

Click here for Stephen Arbuthnot's Find-A-Grave page.

Nancy [Brammeier] & George J. Arbuthnot
Ivon "Hap" and Inez
1907

Home of George and Nancy Arbuthnot
Photo taken from Niwot Raod
1905

"Happy and Grouchy"
Brothers Ivon "Hap" and Stephen Arbuthnot




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn