Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

February 26, 1942 Diary

Thursday, 57th Day - Days to Follow

Written by Margie Arbuthnot

Down to zero this morning.
Didn't warm up very much today.
I canned meat - Dad & Don to Longmont this P.M.
Don made a down payment of a Ford tractor.  
Donnie went to Loren H[ornbakers].
After school, Loren came home with him for a while.

Remember those days of when you would run over to your friend's home, and they would come to yours?  Margie's grandson had a good friend in his classmate Loren Hornbacker.  You can see on this map from 1940 that the family lived very close to each other.  Not in the sense that folks live close to each other in town, but as in terms as the next farm over.  All Donnie had to do to get to where the Hornbacker's lived, was to go across his grandparent's farm, cross through his Great-Uncle Will's farm,  jump the ditch and the creek, and he would be at his best friend's house.  

Also, remember back when in a previous entry, the Poppy farm is mentioned when new neighbors had moved there?  Well here is where the Poppe farm was located, at the corner of 63rd and Oxford Road.  

Detail from the 1940 map.
Niwot Road runs along the bottom edge of this photo.
The other roads are 63rd going N and S.
Oxford Road runs E and W

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn