Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Monday, February 11, 2019

February 11, 1942 Diary

Wednesday, 42nd Day - 323 Days to Follow

Written by Margie Arbuthnot

Four degrees above at 7 A.M.
Not very warm all of today.
Dad and Don took grain to Niwot to have ground.
I made apple jelly & jam today.
Myrna Dodd stopped on her way to Niwot.
Temp 20 degrees above at 9 P.M.

Apple Jelly

3 lbs apples
3 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
3 whole cloves
½ teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon lemon or orange juice

Core and chop up apples.  Place in a pot with water, cook down and mash.
Barely cover fruit with water and add the spices.
Bring to a simmer and cook until apples are soft,  Mash the apples.
Make sure you don't boil but simmer the apples.
Wet down a jelly bag and strain the apple mixture using a jelly bag.
Don't squeeze the bag or your jelly won't be clear.
Apples can sit over night to strain well.

Take four cups of that apple juice and add three cups of water and the lemon or orange juice.
Stir this as you bring it to a boil just to melt the sugar.
Have your jars washed and ready to go.  Ladle warm jelly into he warm jars.
Wipe the rims clean.  Seal and can using a water bath method.
Make sure that your jars are sealed before putting in the cellar to store.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn