Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

March 5, 1942 Diary

Thursday, 64th Day - 301 Days to Follow

Written by Margie Arbuthnot

Another nice day with the snow melting fast.
Club met here today.
Marjorie attended the funeral of Mr. Lydia.
Then came out and Una and Duane went back [to Boulder] with her.
Una and Duane went back with her.
This was the birthday of Jennie Keuter.
Got our radio's battery today.

Batchelder's Neighbors Club

Click here for an earlier post about the Batchelder's Neighbors Club.

One of the neighbor young ladies, Helen Anderson, made up a little book for the BNC, dated 1942-1943.  It begins with the role of the officers, but does not list who is in these positions.  The club has a President, Vice President, Secretary-Treasurer, Publications Chairman, and a Program Chairman.  The meetings are held on alternate Thursdays.  The order of business is the following:

  • Flag Salute
  • Patriotic Song
  • Roll Call
  • Minutes
  • Unfinished Business
  • Bills and Communications
  • Adjournment
No doubt to enjoy some refreshments upon adjournment.

On this day, Helen recorded that the Hostess was Margie Arbuthnot, with the roll call is song quotations. (Not sure what that really means as a roll call is usually those who were in attendance of the meeting.)  Discussion of the meeting included "bulbs, plants and early spring flowers".  No other details of the discussion is given.  The next meeting will be March 19th.

Batchelder's Neighbors Club
Booklet made by Helen Anderson,
recording the meetings for the years 1942-43.


Last page in Helen's BNC book is a list of the members.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn