Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

January 9, 1942 Diary

Friday, 9th Day - 356 Days to Follow

Diary of Margie Arbuthnot

Didn't do much today, but cleaned up the house.
Not as warm as yesterday.
Had letters from Dorothy & Mrs. Clarke.
Feeling rather tired this A.M.
Thawed some today but cold this P.M. and evening.

Mail Delivery

The mail would arrive each day, delivered by a Niwot Resident, Altona Grange Member, and friend to the Arbuthnot family, Clarence Conilogue.  Mr Conilogue had delivered the mail to those in the Niwot rural area since you was a young man.  He first delivered using a horse and cart.  When the Post Office provided him with the first vehicle for the job, Mr. Conilogue walked into Longmont from Niwot and drove home.  It was his first time ever behind the wheel of a car.  

Mr. Conilogue also kept daily diaries, usually recording the weather for the day as he went on his route.  I'm sure those interested in weather patterns today would find his recordings very interesting.

Besides being the postal carrier, Mr Conilogue played the fiddle.  He provided much entertainment and music for the local square dances.
Clarence Conilogue providing some fiddle music at
the Altona Grange No. 127, where he was an active member.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn