Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Thursday, January 24, 2019

January 24, 1942 Diary

Saturday, 24th Day - 341 Days to Follow

Written by Margie Arbuthnot

Not as warm today.
Temp at 7:30 A.M. 34 degrees.
Donnie & Duane went to Don's this P.M.
Not much thawing to day.
Temp at 8 P.M.25 degrees.
A letter from Jessie today.

Donnie and Duane Albert are brothers, grandsons of Margie and Fred Arbuthnot, sons of Una (Arbuthnot) Albert.  Both grandsons were great help to their grandparents and worked for other ranches in the area when they were older.

It was rare for the family to spend much time away from the farm for a vacation.  But Margie and Fred took a trip one time to see on of Margie's sisters.  I don't know if this family that they went to visit was Jessie Hagerman or Viola Lafferty.   In the 1940's Jessie was living near Wheatland, Wyoming.  And Viola was living in McPherson County, Kansas.  Both were younger sisters of Margie.  Either way, this looks like they had a really fun visit.  If anyone has a clue which family that Margie and Fred were visiting, I'd love to know.  

It's interesting too, to see Fred's Uncle Fred Bader in one of the photos.  Why was he traveling with them?  Somethings we will never know.

Margie & Fred Arbuthnot visit with Margie's sister.
L to R ?, Ken Arbuthnot, Coe sister, Marjorie, Margie holding baby (niece or  nephew), Fred Arbuthnot,,
in front of Margie are her children Don and Una.


Arbuthnot's visiting a Coe sister.
Enjoying some watermelon.
? holding baby, Margie, Ken Arbuthnot, ?, Fred Bader (Fred Arbuthnot's Uncle)
children in front Margie's children Don, Marjorie, Una

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn