Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Sunday, January 13, 2019

January 13, 1942 Diary

Tuesday, 13th Day - 352 Days to Follow

Diary by Margie Arbuthnot

Another nice day.
I ironed this P.M.
Cut rags for rugs this P.M.
Will and Kate were here this P.M.
Dad sold a cow "Spotly" $67.00
South wind this evening and it is not so warm.

Oh how I wish I could see the rugs that Grandmother use to make.
Rug making is such a very old art form and one that I enjoy as well.
Until I received this diary, I didn't know that my Grandmother made rugs.

One of the rugs that I have made from strips of wool.


Will and Kate Arbuthnot

Willam Carson Arbuthnot is the brother of Fred Arbuthnot.  He met and married Kate Doolittle when he had homesteaded up in Montana.  He didn't stay long up north and came back to the family farm.  While living in Boulder, Will farmed next to his brother's farm along 63rd and Niwot Rd.  William was the second born in the family of William C. and Mary (Bader) Arbuthnot, Fred (Margie's husband) was the eldest.

They also had a cousin, the son of Samuel C. Arbuthnot, who was also named William.  To be clear on which Will they were referring to, the cousin was referred to as "Short Will", and Fred's brother was called "Long Will."

In a previous post, I wrote about Fred, Will and their other siblings.   There were six children all born at Haystack Mountain.   When Will and Kate visited with Fred and Margie, they most likely brought news of their daughter, Alice, who served as a WAC in the Navy during World War II.  Alice delivered many documents between Denver and Washington D. C. during her time in the Navy.  All of her Arbuthnot relations were very proud of her for her time in the service.

Kate (Doolittle) and William Carson Arbuthnot (Jr.)
Alice Arbuthnot









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn