Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

January 22, 1942 Diary

Thursday, 22nd Day - 343 Days to Follow

Diary written by Margie Arbuthnot

Another fine day.  16 degrees at 7 A. M.
The girls were here for dinner and we went to club this P.M.
Met with Agnes Kenter also a stork shower for her.
I rode home with Bakers.
Duane staying here [grandson].
Doris [Allen] here this evening.
Temp at 8P.M. 33 degrees.

The club that Margie mentions, that she attends with her daughters Una and Marjorie, is the Batchelder Neighbors Club.

Doris Allen Steele was very involved with the Altona Grange, holding many positions as a leader.
She lived with her mother and step-father at the end of Nelson Road at the farm with the big yellow barn.  She cared for her mother until her death in 1945.  Soon after that, she married Andrew Steele, the Altona Grange Insurance Agent.  A very important job as farmers could not get insurance unless they were a grange member.  What began as fire insurance for the farmers soon became farm insurance, car insurance, health insurance, etc.

The Steele family were very close to the Arbuthnot family.  Their history together will be shared in a future post.  

Andrew and Doris (Allen) Steele
in the home of Don Arbuthnot
circa 1950

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn