Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Thursday, January 17, 2019

January 17, 1942 Diary

Saturday, 17th Day - 348 Days to Follow

written by Margie Arbuthnot

20 degrees above at 8 o'clock A.M.
Not so warm today.
The girls and children came at 9:30, left at 3:30.
Stopped at Don's 
Dad brought car by from Marjorie.
N. E. wind this P.M.
Tem[perature] at 8:30 P.M. 25 degrees.
No letter from Nora today.

Elnora "Nora" Coe Wise 

Nora was the sister of Margie's.  She was living in what is now Littleton, Colorado with her brothers and mother on a farm they were renting.  In the 1940 U.S. Census, that farm is located on Coal Mine Road in South Jefferson County, Colorado.  Sometime between 1920 and 1930, Nora had married John.  He was an engineer who worked on the construction of a dam that was a part of the Panama Cannel.

By 1940, Nora and John were no longer married and she is living with her family.  In the 1940 United States Census, it states that she is a widow, but family history said that they were divorced.  It is unclear as to what had happened.  Divorce was a shameful thing at this time, so it was common for a woman to tell a census taker that she was widowed rather than divorced.  Although, John Wise may not have been living at the time of this census.  Nora and John had no children.

I have fond memories of visiting Aunt Nora and her brothers, Uncles Fred and Floyd, in their home in Littleton.  She often had a gift for me, a few that I still cherish to this day.

Here is a copy of the 1940 U.S. Census where they are listed, living on Coal Mine Road, Jefferson County, Colorado.  In the 1940's this area was known as Montana.  This is a good example of how the census taker would often get information wrong.  The head of this household is listed as Lloyd, but his name was Floyd Coe.


Close up of the 1940 U. S. Census
Coe household with Nora Wise listed

1940 U.S. Census, Montana, Jefferson County, Colorado
Family of Coe and Wise listed.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn