Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Saturday, January 12, 2019

January 12, 1942 Diary

Monday, 12 Day - 343 Days to Follow

Diary of Margie Arbuthnot

Another nice day.  I washed threw by 10:10.
Dad went to see Gerald.
Don came with Carol Jane - she stayed until this evening.
Don and Dad to Niwot.  Am rather tired tonite.
Don's had wash day troubles.
Water hard in the hot well.

The hard water that Grandma refers was a hot springs on the property that the her son, Don, rented.  It was a popular spring for all who lived in this area.  It was large enough to use for bathing.  There was a pole with a flag on it at the spring and if someone was using the spring to bath in, they would raise the flag.  One wonders what prompted the flag, who was naked and surprised when another bather showed up to use the spring.  

Grandma's post here indicates that her daughter-in-law (my Mom) also used the hot waters from this spring to wash their clothes.  Having hard water, the soap would not lather and the minerals in the water may have colored or made the cloth dingy.  Not a good wash day.

Many years later, the owner of his farm decided to expand the spring and make it bigger to accommodate many more people.  The water pressure changed and the spring was destroyed.  Surely, this spring had been used by the Native Americans when they were camped in this area, but now, sadly, it is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn