Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Arbuthnot Brothers Cattle Brands




Cattle Brand of William Arbuthnot, Haystack Mountain Ranch
Boulder County, Colorado Territory
Book I, Page 112   July 18, 1870

In Book I (the first book of cattle brands recorded in Boulder County, Colorado), William and his brother Samuel recorded their brands on the same day, the 18th of July, 1870.  They must have ridden to town together, to the court house.  Here is the transcription from the hand written document of William's record...

Territory of Colorado
County of Boulder

Know all men by these present that I William Arbuthnot of the County and Territory aftsaid do hereby give notice to that I claim as my Brand for Stock the following to wit the number (44) forty-for burned on the left hip.  To have and to Hold the Exclusive right to hold and use the Same Against all other citizens of Said County.

Witness my Hand and Seal this 18th day of July 1870.
William Arbuthnot [signature]


William's brother's, Samuel C. Arbuthnot's brand - the letters SM...

Brand of Samuel Arbuthnot, recorded 18 July 1870
Boulder County, Colorado Territory
2 inches long, on the left shoulder
Book I, page 114
Related Article:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn