Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Haystack Mountain Ranch in Winter

Home of William and Mary [Bader] Arbuthnot, Haystack Mountain, Boulder County, Colorado.

Copyright Donlyn A. A. Whissen
Haystack Mountain Ranch
Home of William and Mary [Bader] Arbuthnot and their six children who were born here.
Photo was taken circa 1900-1907.

Today the old barn still stands out at the Haystack Mountain Golf Course.  It is the only remnants of the old ranch.  When the current owner saw this property the first time back in the 1960's when they purchased the property, they said the buildings looked just like this.  They were able to identify several of the out buildings and other points of interest in this photo.  The Left Hand Creek runs across this land, most likely where the trees are growing.

Here is a photo of the plank home that William built for Mary and where their six children were born.  This home is to the far right in the photo above.



copyright Donlyn A. A. Whissen




2 comments:

  1. I have always loved the photo of the house in the snow. It must of been taken by some one who also loved the sight of a warm home in the snowy part of winte
    Dana Furman Behm (granddaughter of Una Arbuthnot Albert)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, I had never seen this photo before until I went to California and met the Great-grandaughter of George Arbuthnot (Una's Uncle). She had this framed in her home. I learned so much from her and I am forever grateful for all that she shared.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn