Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sheriff C. W. Arbuthnot Auctions a Quartz Claim, 1861


Close-up of Carson Arbuthnot as Sheriff of Gold Hill Mining District.
Boulder County Records, Book B, Page 190

The first time I saw my Great-great-grandfather, Carson William Arbuthnot's name (above) where he calls himself "Sheriff" was when I found this record in the Boulder County Records department.  Sheriff C. W. is preforming some business, an auction of a quartz claim up on the Iowa Lode.  I found this in one of the oldest books, Book B, the second book of Boulder County records.  I had no idea that my Great-great-grandfather had been voted in to serve as Constable until I had found the minutes of the miner's meeting that explains what happened.  This record (below) is a very good example of the work he did, holding a public auction and then going down to the Boulder Court House to record the sale.  So interesting how long it took for the sale to be recorded.  The sale took place in 1861 and wasn't recorded until 1864.  One wonders why it took so long (Gold Hill is 12 miles west of Boulder), and one wonders what else had happened at this claim that resulted in the auction.

Here is the record along with my transcription below.  If I'm unable to read a word, I have replaced it with a question mark.  My additions are in [brackets].
Boulder County Records
Book B, Page 190

Gold Hill District, Boulder, C.T. [Colorado Territory], Nov. 23rd, 1861.
Know all men by these presents that I C. W. Arbuthnot, Sheriff of Gold Hill District by ? of an execution to, we delivered and directed by W. A. Corson, President of the aforesaid district against Glotfelter & Raynon I have sold at Public auction to P.K. Chaffer & Thomas Fergason, they being the highest bidders all the right title and interest of the said George Raynon & Glotfelter ? and to quartz claim no. 5 & on the Iowa lode to have and to hold the same forever for the sum of sixteen dollars and fifty cents to me in hand which this is my acknowledgement and signed with my hand ? with my seal the day and year first above written.
C. W. Arbuthnot
Sheriff

Filed for record April 4th at 12M A. D. 1864
Robert Culles, Recorder

Minutes of the meeting when C. W. Arbuthnot becomes the Sheriff of Gold Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn