Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Thursday, October 24, 2013

ARBUTHNOT-BADER Marriage Announced in the Rocky Mt. News 1869


Marriage of William Arbuthnot and Mary Elizabeth Bader appered in the Rocky Mountian News, the paper in Denver, Colorado Territory.  This is from the March 27, 1869 issue.

It reads:
ARBUTHNOT-BADER - At Valmont, March 14 by Judge A. P. Allen,
 Wm. Arbuthnot amd Miss Mary E. Bader
This is the first document that says that Mary and William were married at Valmont.  Most other references say that they were married at Left Hand.  They made their home on Left Hand creek at the base of Haystack Mountain, Boulder County, Colorado Territory.  They were married until William was branding a colt in April of 1882.  The colt kicked him in the chest and he died a several days later.  Mary was left with six children to raise.  She did so with the help of her brother, Fred W. Bader, and brother-in-law, Samuel C. Arbuthnot as well as good neighbors such as Sylvanus Budd.

The following photos are large tin-types that have been hand painted.  Mary has such dark eyes, but Williams are the Arbuthnot blue.

Mary Elizabeth [Bader] Arbuthnot
William Carson Arbuthnot, Sr.

1 comment:

  1. A.P. allen was a gold miner up in Gold Hill That is where he and William met for the first time. After he relocated to Valmont, he became a cheese maker. I wonder if Mary and William were given some cheese as a wedding gift? William was also appointed to serve as Justice of the Peace for the community of Pella. I wonder if he ever married anyone as J.P.? Oh the things we may never know.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn