Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Thursday, March 7, 2019

March 7, 1942 Diary

Saturday, 66th Day - 299 Days to Follow

Written by Margie Arbuthnot

Another nice day.
It thawed a lot this P.M.
Donnie went to Ni Wot and got a hair cut.
Went to see Leo L. but he was not at home.
Dad and Don took grain to Ni wot and had ground.

The Jain and Arbuthnot family...
Yesterday, I shared about Miles and Mary (Case) Jain and their family.  Today, I will continue their story.

Another Jain daughter of Miles and Mary Jain was Clara Jain, born at Haystack Mt on October 2, 1879.  She attended the Bader School No. 13.  It was probably there and at the Grange meetings where she met a son of Samuel C. Arbuthnot, William.  

Samuel and Fred's father were brothers.  Fred had a cousin named Will and a brother named Will.  Fred's brother was called "Long Will" because he was so tall, and their cousin was known as "Short Will"  in order to keep it clear which Will you were referring to.  "Short" Will married Clara Jain on and the two families were joined.  Will and Clara Arbuthnot were a young couple who were leaders in breaking off from the Left Hand Grange No. 9 in Niwot (where they had grown up) to start a new grange, the Altona Grange No. 127.

"Short" Will Arbuthnot farmed there near Haystack Mountain his entire live, living on the land that his father had first acquired.  They were long standing members in the Grange.

Clara Jain and William H. Arbuthnot
Wedding photo - 1879
Clara (Jain) Arbuthnot

Obituary of Cara (Jain) Arbuthnot
Boulder Daily Camera May 21, 1956




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn