Welcome!

My family came to what is now Boulder, Colorado, arriving when Boulder was three months old. My Great-great-grandfather was Carson W. Arbuthnot and with him, he brought his four sons and a son-in-law. Since a little child I have loved the history of this beautiful mountain area, the legacy's of the Natives who were here when my family arrived, and the way our community has grown to what it is today. My blog is dedicated to seeking evidence of all that happened. The good, the bad and the ugly, I will share the evidence of what I find.

I also share Boulder County and Colorado History through entertaining storytelling. Dressed as one of my early Boulder County ancestors, I will make you laugh, smile and sometimes cry as I share the stories of the people who came before us and who established these communities that we enjoy today. Please visit my storytelling and events pages for information on performances.

Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Sincerely,
Donlyn Arbuthnot

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Mines in Gold Hill, Colorado Territory, acquired by the Arbuthnot men in 1862

In the Boulder County Court House the Grantee/Grantor Books are housed for Boulder County.  In Book A (the first record book for this area), on pages 94 and 95, are transactions where the Arbuthnot men acquired lodes (gold mining claims) on the Horsfal Mountain.  The first major gold discovery was on this mountain on January 15, 1859.

A Grantee is the person who is receiving something, such as a title or a deed.
A Grantor is the person who is giving up something, such as the seller of a mine or land.

In this first transaction, Arbuthnot & Sons (Carson W. Arbuthnot, his sons Samuel, William, James, Charles) purchased portions of the Horsfal mine sold by C. W. Chambers for the price of $15,000.  This transaction took place in the last half of C. W. Arbuthnot's term as the Constable of Sugar Loaf Mining District and the Gold Hill Mining District.  Fifteen thousand dollars is a great deal of money back in this day, and I believe this indicates that Sheriff Carson Arbuthnot must have been a very busy Sheriff at this time to amass such a fortune.  His sons probably chipped some of their gold from their other lodes as well.   We will never know if they were able to recover their investment in this particular claim.


C. W. Chambers
To
C. W. Arbuthnot & Sons
Quit Claim Deed
Gold Hill, January 25, 1862
For the consideration of fifteen thousand dollars in hand paid the recipient of which is here by acknowledged I have sold and do here by transfer unto C. W. Arbuthnot and sons all of my rights; title and interest in and to the East fifteen feet of claim No. 5 west and the west fifteen feet of claim No. 4 west both on the Horsefall Lode in Gold Hill District, Colorado Territory.  In testimony where I have set my hand and seal, day and year above written.
C. W. Chambers, L.S.
Attest W. Y. (?) Dodd
Recorded Feb 8, 1862 In Book (?) Page 268
E. S. Glotfelter, Recorder
Filed Feb. 11 at 12 M.


In the next transaction, a couple of weeks after the above transaction, Carson W. Arbuthnot is in partnership with John M. Squires for a portion of the Horsfal Mine.

Grantee/Grantor Book A, Page 95
Load Claim
Arbuthnot & Squires
Gold Hill District, February 5, 1862
This is to certify that I have received the necessary evidence by the Powers invested in me by the laws of this District C. W. Arbuthnot & John M. Squires to be the rightful owners of fractional Quartz Claim eleven feet and six inches which lies between number four and five west on the Horsefall Lode by right of preemption given under my hand and seal given this the fifth day of February 1862.
Charles Dabney, Resident
E. S. Glotfelter, Recorder
Filed Feb. 11 at 12M

Many thanks to Chellee Courtney for this wonderful photo of an old mine up on Horsfal Mountain, Gold Hill, Colorado.

W.D. Goudge Collection, 
courtesy Chellee Courtney, Horsfal Mountain,
Gold Hill, Boulder County, Colorado


Related links:  Gold Hill Town Site


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed for approval to appear on our blog. Thank you for taking time to read our posts. -- Donlyn